NOTICE OF RECEIPT OF BALLOT TITLE
Notice is hereby given that a ballot title for an initiative petition has been filed with the Elections Office of the City of Portland on March 5, 2018.
The ballot title is as follows:
Imposes surcharge on certain retailers; funds clean energy, job training.
Shall large retailers (defined) pay 1% surcharge on Portland revenues to fund clean renewable energy projects, job training programs?
Measure amends code to require large retailers in Portland (those with total revenue of over 1 billion dollars annually and Portland revenue of over $500,000 annually) to pay 1% surcharge on gross revenue from retail sales within Portland into a new Portland Clean Energy Community Benefits Fund. Certain sales of groceries, medicine or drugs, and health care services are not included in gross revenue.
Funds can only be spent on:
Clean Energy Projects (approximately 50-75%): renewable energy, energy efficiency and green infrastructure projects, such as:
- Energy not produced from fossil fuels, nuclear power or hydropower that potentially harms aquatic species
- Heating, lighting, water and cooling efficiencies
- Green building design
- Urban tree canopy
Clean Energy Jobs Training (approximately 20-25%): training that prioritizes workforce development for disadvantaged workers, such as:
- Communities of color
- Persons with disabilities
- Chronically underemployed
Future Innovation (approximately 5%)
- Resident committee makes funding recommendations, oversees progress on goals.
- Annual financial audit; performance audit every two years.
- Administrative costs cannot exceed 5%.
The City Auditor has determined this measure meets the requirements of Article IV, Section 1(2) (d) and (5) of the Oregon Constitution. An elector may file a petition for review of this ballot title in the Multnomah County Circuit Court no later than 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday, March 14, 2018.
MARY HULL CABALLERO
Portland City Auditor