Notice of Receipt of Ballot Title (07/23/20)
NOTICE OF RECEIPT OF BALLOT TITLE
Notice is hereby given that a ballot title for a measure referred by the Portland City Council to qualified voters at the November 3, 2020 General Election has been filed with the Elections Office of the City of Portland on July 23, 2020.
An elector may file a petition for review of this ballot title in the Multnomah County Circuit Court no later than 5:00 P.M., August 3, 2020.
The ballot title is as follows:
Restore recreation programs, parks, nature, water through five-year levy
Shall Portland protect, restore recreation programs, parks, nature, clean water; 5-year operating levy, $0.80 per $1,000 assessed value, beginning 2021? This measure may cause property taxes to increase more than three percent.
Levy will prevent ongoing reductions to park services and recreation programs, preserve and restore park and natural area health, and center equity and affordable access for all.
Levy funds will:
- Enhance and preserve parks, rivers, wetlands, trees, and other important natural features in urban areas for the benefit of all Portlanders and wildlife;
- Provide park and recreation services to diverse populations including communities of color, seniors, teens, households experiencing poverty, immigrants and refugees, and people living with disabilities;
- Increase opportunities for communities of color and children experiencing poverty to connect with nature;
- Prevent cuts to recreation programs, closures of community centers and pools; and
- Enhance park maintenance to keep parks clean and safe, including litter and hazardous waste removal, restroom cleaning, and playground safety.
If levy fails, service improvements and restoration described above will not occur; taxes will not increase.
A five-member oversight committee will review levy expenditures, provide annual reports. Independent audit required.
Levy is $0.80 per $1,000 assessed home value. The proposed rate will raise approximately $44,735,000, in 2021–2022, $46,240,000 in 2022–2023, $47,705,000 in 2023–2024, $49,262,000 in 2024–2025, and $51,135,000 in 2025–2026, for a total of $239,078,000.
A median residential homeowner pays $151 per year, or about $13 per month.