Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Subscribe to RSS feed

Most Recent

View Less

Reporting code violations

In most instances, the bureau begins investigating a code violation when a citizen reports a potential violation. Please see "What is a Violation?" if you are uncertain about where to report your complaint. If you think a violation exists, you may report it in the following ways: 

Reporting Violations
Online Reporting Form or Call (503) 823-CODE (2633)
Visit Enforcement Program Section staff in person at the CH2M Building, located at 2020 SW 4th Ave. Suite 650, Portland OR 97201 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Send a letter to:
Enforcement Program
1900 SW 4th Ave. Suite 5000
Portland OR 97201

Typically, the inspector must observe a violation before enforcement action can be taken. When reporting a potential code violation, please provide the following:

  • Your name, address and telephone number.
    Note: We cannot accept anonymous complaints. Your information is kept confidential, however, if enforcement action results in court proceedings, it may not be possible to keep your name confidential.
  • Exact address of the property or the address of an adjacent property where you believe a violation exists.
  • If the violation is visible from the street, sidewalk or alley way.
    Note: In cases where inspection of the interior of a dwelling unit or structure is required, the contact name and number of someone who can give the inspector access to inspect for the violation would be helpful.
  • If the inspector can enter your property to view the violation (if it can be viewed from your property).
  • If the property is vacant and/or a rental or owner occupied.
  • If there is a pattern to the violation (i.e. for noise violations when is the noise occurring).

Inspectors are usually assigned and perform their investigation within a week of the initial call. You can check the status of your concern online or call the appropriate section. can provide limited information on the progress of an enforcement case. Please see our information regarding monitoring cases on PortlandMaps.