Accessory home occupations are activities connected to those uses in the Household Living Category of the Portland Zoning Code. There are two types of home occupations, Type A and Type B.
Type A Home Occupations do not need a permit but must comply with the Home Occupation Regulations.A Type A home occupation is one where the residents use their home as a place of work; however, no employees or customers come to the site. Examples include artists, crafts people, writers and consultants. Type A home occupations also provide an opportunity for a home to be used as a business address but not as a place of work.
A Type B Home Occupation Permit is not allowed:
A Type B home occupation is one where the residents use their home as a place of work, and either one employee or customers come to the site. Examples are counseling, tutoring, and hair cutting and styling. A Type B home occupation permit is not allowed:
- When a residence has an accessory dwelling unit
- When there is another Type B Home Occupation permitted for the residence
- For repairing or assembling vehicles, lawn mowers or large appliances
- Regulations for home occupation
- If you have any questions, please call (503) 823-7306
- For sign information contact (503) 823-7379 (Sign Code Specialist)
- A home occupation may also require a business license. Call the City of Portland Bureau of Licenses at (503) 823-5157
- In home childcare that qualifies as "family day care" does not require a home occupation permit. For more information call the State of Oregon Child Care Division at 1-800-556-6616.
- Bed and breakfasts are not home occupations. For more information, call the Planning and Zoning staff at (503) 823-7526.
- Fill out the Type B Home Occupation Permit Application
- Notify your neighbors and your neighborhood association that you plan to start a home business
- Return your completed application and a copy of your neighborhood notification with the fee listed on the application to:
Compliance Services & Neighborhood Inspections
Bureau of Development Services
1900 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 5000
Portland, OR 97201-5379
Your application will be reviewed and inspected by a City of Portland zoning inspector who will visit your business to make sure the regulations are being met.
Upon approval, a permit will be issued for two years.