Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Signs & Other Inspections

Inspections required for sign, zoning and home occupation permits.

Home Occupation (A.K.A. Home Business) Inspections

The Bureau of Development Services' Compliance Services section issues home occupation permits.

Inspections: A zoning inspector reviews applications for completeness and inspects the property to ensure all the regulations have been satisfied.

Application: Home occupation application

Assistance: Please call Compliance Services at (503) 823-7306.

More information on home occupation permits.

Sign Inspections

The Bureau of Development Services' Commercial Electrical Inspections section inspects sign and awning permits. 

Inspections: Inspections are required for all sign and awning permits. Call for inspections at the following points in the project:

  • Prior to pouring footings for freestanding signs
  • After installation of wall anchors for fascia or projecting signs, but before the sign is attached
  • When the project is completed
  • Additional inspections may be required depending on the complexity of the project

Inspections: Once you receive your permit, you will be ready to request an inspection.

  • Sign footings (#400)
  • Electrical service sign (#405)
  • Sign structure (#410)
  • Final permit (#999)

A special inspection may be required for complex signs as specified in the Oregon Structural Specialty Code. Notice will be given to the applicant as part of the engineering review process when a special inspection is requested. When a special inspection is required, in must be performed by a City of Portland certified testing agency. For more information on special inspections, call (503) 823-7782.  

More information on sign permits.