Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Residential Electrical Permits

Getting Started

  • For residential projects, a separate electrical permit is needed for electrical work even when there is no building permit required.
  • For newly constructed townhouse projects that have 3 or more units, separate electrical permits are required.
  • An electrical permit is needed to:
    1. Install, change or repair any hard wired electrical system
    2. Run additional wiring
    3. Put in any additional electrical outlet or light fixture
    4. Change your fuse box to circuit breakers
    5. Install or alter low voltage systems such as security alarms, stereo, computer or phone systems
  • An electrical permit is not needed to repair appliance cords, replace a fuse or to replace an existing garbage disposal, dishwasher or electric water heater
  • You must be both the owner and occupant of the house in order to do the electrical work yourself. This work may not be done on a dwelling that is now or will be for sale, lease, rent or exchange in the next six months. For questions concerning your eligibility, call Residential Electrical Inspections (503) 823-7388.

Hiring a contractor
All contractors working in the state of Oregon must be licensed by Oregon’s Construction Contractors Board (CCB). The CCB requires licensed contractors to provide their license number on all of their company materials. The CCB maintains records on licensed contractors and about any claims filed against them. Contact the CCB at (503) 378-4621 or get help with a contractor query at


  • Fees are based on the number of circuits that will be affected by the work
  • If you are changing the basic service or changing a fuse box to circuit breakers, you will need to know the panel’s amperage. You may also purchase a general wiring permit by square footage, which includes the service.

Applying For My Permit

  • Drawn plans are usually not necessary to get a residential electrical permit. If all of the necessary information is available, you can usually get your electrical permit online or over the counter.
  • Bring completed electrical permit application fees to the Development Services Center


Applications & Handouts