Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Commercial Electrical Permits

Getting Started

  • For commercial projects, a separate permit is needed for all electrical projects.
  • If you are operating your business in a commercial structure or at a commercial use site, only a licensed contractor may purchase permits and perform electrical work - even for the smallest project.

Hiring a contractor

All contractors working in the state of Oregon must be licensed by Oregon’s Construction Contractors Board (CCB). The CCB requires licensed contractors to provide their license number on all of their company materials. The CCB maintains records on licensed contractors and about any claims filed against them. Contact the CCB at (503) 378-4621 or get help with a contractor query at

Project and Fees

You will be asked to describe the scope of work proposed and to provide a detailed list of all electrical work you will be doing. If you have questions, please call Commercial Electrical at (503) 823-7304. 

The fees for your electrical permit are based on the scope of work you are doing. The individual fees are listed on the Electrical permit application.

Applying For My Permit

Electrical permits not requiring plan review are generally issued the same, or the following day after receipt of the application. A copy of the issued permit will be mailed to you.

If your project falls into one of the following situations, you will need to submit plans for plan review.

  • Fire pump
  • Emergency system
  • Addition of new motor load of 100 HP or more
  • Six or more residential units
  • Patient care areas of health care facilities
  • Recreational vehicle parks
  • Hazardous locations
  • Supply over 600 volts nominal
  • Service or feeder 400 amps or more where the available fault current exceeds 10,000 amps at 150 volts or less to the ground, or exceeds 14,000 amps for all other installations
  • Service or feeder 600 amps or over
  • Building over three stories
  • Marinas and boatyards
  • Floating buildings
  • Commercial use agricultural buildings
  • Installation of 150 KVA or larger separately derived system
  • A, E, I-2, I-3 occupancies
  • Voluntary plan review

When submitting a plan review, submit two sets of electrical plans that; are drawn to scale; contain definitions for legends used; are of sufficient clarity to indicate the location; show the nature and extent of the work proposed; show in detail that it will conform to the applicable electrical code requirements, laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations.

The plans shall contain the following minimum requirements:

  1. Feeder riser diagram showing panel location and circuit schedules;
  2. One line riser diagram diagram showing bonding and grounding and conductor sizes;
  3. Available fault current current on the line side of service disconnect;
  4. Complete load calculations, or provide applicable load records, for all new installations and for additions to existing installations;
  5. Fixture schedule, showing type, location, and layout of the fixtures;
  6. Address of the installation and name of owner and address;
  7. Identification of the employer, identification and signature of person who prepared the plan, license number if the person is an electrical supervisor and professional registration number if the person is an architect or registered professional electrical engineer; and
  8. Location of emergency systems, identifying the power source and the system on plan

Plan Review Process

Electrical permits requiring plan review will generally be issued within ten working days. Plans are reviewed by the Commercial Electrical section of the Bureau of Development Services. If you have questions or are not sure if your project requires review, please call Commercial Electrical Inspections at (503) 823-7304.


In-Plant Inspections

The Electrical Master Permit (Industrial Plant) Program was created to promote electrical safety and to implement a more efficient procedure for handling repair, alteration or replacement of electrical products in qualified facilities. For more information call Commercial Electrical at (503) 823-7304.

Applications & Handouts

  • Electrical permit application
  • Trade Permit Extensions - This form is to request a one-time only 180-day permit extension for trade permits (electrical, mechanical and plumbing) PRIOR to the permit expiration date.
  • Trade Permit Reactivations - This form is to request a one-time only 180-day permit reactivation for trade permits (electrical, mechanical and plumbing) after the permit has expired, but prior to being void.