Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Residential Plumbing Permits

Getting Started

  • For residential projects, a separate permit is needed for plumbing work even when there is no building permit required
  • For newly constructed townhouse projects that have 3 or more units, separate plumbing permits are required.
  • A plumbing permit is needed to repair, replace, relocate or add to the piping system
  • Install new plumbing fixtures such as toilets, sinks, showers, tubs and dishwashers
  • Replace water heaters or existing fixtures
  • Cap of fixtures that have been removed
  • Install rain drains, cesspools, septic systems, drywells, sewer lines, water lines, backflow prevention assemblies for lawn sprinkler systems or cap a sewer
  • Replace the metallic water service (copper or galvanized steel) with a non-metallic water service (plastic or CPVC) can alter the integrity of the grounding electrode system. If the grounding system fails, fires or appliance damage may occur. If you are replacing your metallic water service with nonmetallic, a new grounding electrode may need to be installed, which requires an electrical permit. For questions, call Residential Plumbing Inspections (503) 823-7388.
  • To decommission an on-site sewage disposal system such as a cesspool or septic tank, a decommissioning permit is required
  • You do not need a plumbing permit for repairing, replacing or maintaining existing and accessible parts, appliances or appurtenances (plumbing related equipment that does not require water, such as a toilet seat)

Hiring a contractor

All contractors working in the state of Oregon must be licensed by Oregon’s Construction Contractors Board (CCB). The CCB requires licensed contractors to provide their license number on all of their company materials. The CCB maintains records on licensed contractors and about any claims filed against them. Contact the CCB at (503) 378-4621 or get help with a contractor query at

All plumbing contractors must be licensed by the Oregon State Plumbing Board (PB). Call the PB at (503) 373-1268. 

Project and Fees

If you have questions, please call Residential Plumbing at (503) 823-7388. 

The fees for your plumbing permits are based on the scope of work you are doing.

Applying For My Permit

Plans are usually not necessary to get a residential plumbing permit. If all of the necessary information is available, you can usually get your plumbing permit over the counter or Online (except for sewer).

Plan Review Process

Plans are reviewed by the Residential Plumbing section of the Bureau of Development Services.

For the following:

  • Rainwater harvesting
  • 5 bathrooms or more
  • Adult foster care home
  • Sewage ejection
  • Fire Sprinklers
  • Grey water systems


Applications & Handouts