On May 8, 2019, City Council adopted amendments to Portland City Code Title 33 relating to the Neighborhood Contact Requirement for certain projects. The updated code goes into effect on December 2, 2019.
August 12, 2019
Proposed Administrative Rule on Specifications for
On-Site Notices (Signs) on Future Development Sites
(as required by the revised Neighborhood Contact Requirement)
On May 8, 2019, City Council adopted amendments to Portland City Code Title 33 relating to the Neighborhood Contact Requirement for certain projects. The updated code goes into effect on December 2, 2019. The updated code requires that notification signs must be posted on the sites of some types of future development at least 35 days before a building permit or land use review application is submitted to the City. The project applicant is responsible for posting the sign. The types of projects required to post the notification sign are:
- In most zones, projects adding more than 10,000 square feet of building area;
- All projects adding more than 10,000 square feet of building area that also require design review; and
- All land divisions that create 4 or more lots, or any land division that also requires environmental review.
According to the adopted code amendments, all notification signs must provide certain information about the project including contact information for the applicant, neighborhood association and district coalition, and a written summary and site plan of the proposed development. In addition, some projects require that the applicant hold an informational meeting. In those cases, the notification sign must also provide information about the meeting.
Summary of Proposed Administrative Rule
The updated code allows BDS to adopt administrative rules regarding the size and layout of the notification sign. In addition, the sign must meet the minimum requirements prescribed by the code. BDS has also developed a notification sign template to be used by all applicants that are subject to the notification sign requirement. This rule does not determine when the notification sign is required but establishes requirements for the notification sign itself. The proposed rule and template require that the notification sign:
- Be 4 feet by 5 feet in size and made of durable materials;
- Contain basic information about the project such as number of stories, if parking is provided, how many new lots are proposed, and other information.
- Contain a proposed site plan at least 144 square inches in size;
- Include contact information for the project applicant, neighborhood organization, district coalition and City land use and permit information; and
- Include information about the informational meeting for projects that require a meeting, and information on requesting the applicant to provide barrier free access to the meeting
The proposed administrative rule can be found here.
Sign for projects that require an informational meeting
Sign for projects that do not require an informational meeting
Date: Monday, September 9, 2019
Time: 4:00-6:00 p.m.
Location: 1900 SW 4th Avenue, Room 4a (4th floor), Portland, OR 97201
The deadline for written comments submitting comments on the proposed draft is 5:00 pm on Wednesday, September 11, 2019.
Comments should be mailed or e-mailed to:
Emily Sandy, Bureau of Development Services
1900 SW 4th Avenue, Suite 5000
Portland, OR 97201
The City of Portland is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7300, the TTY at 503-823-6868 or the Oregon Relay Service: 711. Traducción e interpretación | Chuyển Ngữ hoặc Phiên Dịch
翻译或传译 | Письменныйили устный перевод | 翻訳または通訳 | Traducere sau Interpretare
번역 및 통역 | Письмовий або усний переклад | Turjumida ama Fasiraadda