1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201
The Portland Online Permitting (POPS) program is modernizing our current permitting system into an online, enhanced customer service delivery system.
Currently, permit technicians input all permit application information into TRACS, a system the City has used to track and manage permits since 1999. This technology supports the development permit process, but it is antiquated and relies heavily on inefficient, paper-based transactions.
The City’s Development Services process is collaborative and involves seven bureaus working together on site to achieve efficient review and coordination of development projects. Click here to view the POPS Program Charter.
POPS is comprised of five distinct workstreams, including:
• AMANDA Migration: Upgrading the TRACS permitting software to version 7, called AMANDA, while retaining current functionality and business processes. TRACS is the system the City currently uses to track the review, permitting, and inspection of development projects.
• Development Hub PDX: Introducing a more efficient public portal that allows customers to apply, pay, and schedule inspections for some permits online. Development Hub PDX replaces Permits Online, a legacy customer portal that limited our ability to upgrade and enhance site functionality.
• PDX ePlans (Electronic Plan Review): Implementing ProjectDox software to transition our paper processes to digital plan review.
• Inspection Scheduling: Automates and optimizes the assignment of daily inspections to inspectors based on skills, geography, and availability. The system allows for managers to customize the automated assignment to support exceptions and special cases.
• Inspector App: A mobile-device app that works with AMANDA permitting software. Ideal for use by inspectors in Permits and Code Enforcement while in the field to manage and record results of inspections in real-time.
The public conducts much of their daily business online via smart phones and tablets, using a variety of applications and POPS will utilize these technologies to streamline the permitting and inspections process. Watch the video above to learn about the improvements we're making to online permitting in Portland.
For more information on the POPS program, please send us an email: