Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Getting Started

Any project that enlarges the footprint of an existing building requires a building permit. Enclosing a porch or adding new living space to your house are examples of projects that require a building permit. Depending on the scope of work, electrical, plumbing or mechanical permits may also be required.

Your permit will be reviewed for compliance with the Portland Zoning Code, the Building Code and other local regulations.  

  • Applicable Cityand State Codes:  Refer to the Codes page on the Bureau of Development Services (BDS) website.
  • Portland’s applicable building code is the Oregon Residential Specialty Code. See the  State Codes page for more information about this and other construction codes in effect.
  • The Portland Zoning Code, (City Title 33) includes use regulations and development standards, such as maximum building footprint coverage and setbacks, and can be found on the Zoning Code page.

General Information

Our "New Users"  tab is a good place to start for overall information about the permitting process.

Things to Consider when Planning your Project

1. Researching Building Permit Records for Your House
Before preparing building permit plans, it is important to verify that existing finished space in your house was legally permitted. The BDS maintains building permit records that can help you prepare plans for your current house project. Historical inspection cards or microfilmed permit plans may be available to determine the existing “permitted” condition of your house. Although the Multnomah County Assessor maintains information about your house’s living area (available on, this information may not match the building permit history. There is no "grandfathering-in" of unpermitted finished or living areas, and to be considered legal living area, a permit is required.

2. Major Alterations and Additions
Projects that add square footage or height to an existing house or duplex may qualify as “Major Additions” depending on the size of the addition and scope of work relative to the existing structure. These types of permits have additional requirements for notification of the neighboring properties and neighborhood association. There is a waiting period between the time of notification and when the permit can be issued, so it is important to plan ahead.

3. Included work, such as an Attached Garage or Additional Floor
If your project will include the addition of a garage, please also see our page on Garage, Shed and Accessory Structures for special requirements.

Additional requirements may apply if the scope of work includes converting existing unfinished space to living space, or adding a dormer or additional floor to the house. Please refer to the summary page for more information.

4. Residential Engineering
Your project must be designed to meet all structural requirements in the building code. The construction drawings must show how both gravity and lateral (wind and earthquake) loads will be resisted. Please see our page on Residential Engineering for more information on these requirements.

5. Floodplains
If your house is located in a floodplain, there are restrictions that may limit your ability to add to or significantly improve your house without retrofitting it to be flood-resistant. Please contact Site Development staff at (503) 823-6892 to discuss your project.

6. Decommissioning a Septic Tank or Cesspool
When enlarging the footprint of an existing structure, septic tank/cesspools must be located and shown on the site plan.

Visit the records staff at the Development Services Center to research plumbing records showing septic systems/cesspools

  • If the septic system/cesspool has been decommissioned, and is within 10 feet of the new structure, you must sign a disclaimer for on-site-sewage disposal system form.
  • If the septic system/cesspool is within 10 feet of the new structure and has not been pumped and filled, it will need to be decommissioned.

Call Environmental Soils staff at (503) 823-6892 for more information on decommissioning septic tanks and cesspools.

Permit Fees

Permit fees are based on the fair market value of the work included in the permit.