Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Getting Started

Accessory home occupations are activities connected to those uses in the Household Living Category of the Portland Zoning Code. There are two types of home occupations, Type A and Type B. 

Type A Home Occupations do not need a permit but must comply with the Home Occupation Regulations.

A Type A home occupation is one where the residents use their home as a place of work; however, no employees or customers come to the site. Examples include artists, crafts people, writers and consultants. Type A home occupations also provide an opportunity for a home to be used as a business address but not as a place of work.

A Type B Home Occupation Permit:

A Type B home occupation is one where the residents use their home as a place of work, and either one employee or customers come to the site. Examples are counseling, tutoring, and hair cutting and styling. A Type B home occupation permit is not allowed:

  1. When a residence has an accessory dwelling unit
  2. When there is another Type B Home Occupation permitted for the residence
  3. For repairing or assembling vehicles, lawn mowers or large appliances
  4. When there is a Type A Accessory Short Term Rental
  • Regulations for home occupation
  • If you have any questions, please call (503) 823-7306
  • For sign information contact (503) 823-7379 (Sign Code Specialist)
  • A home occupation may also require a business license. Call the City of Portland Bureau of Licenses at (503) 823-5157
  • In home childcare that qualifies as "family day care" does not require a home occupation permit. For more information call the State of Oregon Child Care Division at 1-800-556-6616.
  • Bed and breakfasts are not home occupations. For more information, call the Planning and Zoning staff at (503) 823-7526.