Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Getting Started

  • For residential projects, a separate trade permit is needed for mechancial work even when there is no building permit required
  • For newly constructed townhouse projects, separate mechanical permits are required.
  • A mechanical trade permit is required to:
    • Install new, replace or change heating or cooling system
    • Install, alter or repair gas piping (indoor or outdoor) between the meter and an appliance or a natural gas line
    • Install a wood stove or fireplace insert
    • Install a fuel oil tank
  • For underground oil tank decommissioning, contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, (503) 229-5263
  • For asbestos removal contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, (503) 229-5982
  • Outdoor air conditioner units, generators, kilns, heat pumps, pool heaters and other mechanical equipment installed within the City of Portland are not allowed to be located within required zoning setbacks. For more information contact Planning and Zoning staff at (503) 823-7526.

Hiring a contractor
All contractors working in the state of Oregon must be licensed by Oregon’s Construction Contractors Board (CCB). The CCB requires licensed contractors to provide their license number on all of their company materials. The CCB maintains records on licensed contractors and about any claims filed against them. Contact the CCB at (503) 378-4621 or get help with a contractor query at

Project and Fees
Some of the fees for your mechanical permit are based on the scope of work you are doing. The individual fees are listed on the Mechanical permit application.