An applicant may request design advice from the Design Commission or Historic Landmarks Commission prior to submitting a Type III Design Review or Historic Design Review. Design Advice Requests are optional. Design advice requests provide early feedback on projects such as:
- A typical building types or configurations unable to draw on other prior project approvals to assess approval potential
- Projects which might include elements that do not appear to conform to design guidelines, and which may require a waiver of one or more design guidelines
- Unique urban design schemes for which interest or support is sought prior to approaching other agencies
- Early Assistance Application
- Written project description
- Site plans (2 sets to scale, 1 copy 8.5x11")
- Building Elevations (2 sets)
Submit your design advice request in the Development Services Center.
Process: Requests will typically be heard by the commission at a public hearing approximately 5 weeks from the submittal date and fee payment. A return [second] DAR is allowed, without additional fees, provided it is within 6-months of the first hearing date. Design advice requests may be made for a project prior to or after a pre-application conference, but do not substitute for a required pre-application conference (see pre-application conference).
Design advice requests may not be made for a specific project or site with an active land use review application.
Results: Responses from the commission will be documented by staff within 2 weeks of the hearing.
Questions? For further assistance with the land use and zoning regulations that apply to your site, please call us at (503) 823-7526, or visit Planning and Zoning Staff in the Development Services Center.