Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

1. Site Related - Exterior

Grading and clearing Site Development Permit (SD) if there is no structure
Build a private street Site Development Permit (SD)
Tree cutting on my property Visit Development Services Center staff to determine if the site needs a Zoning Permit (ZP) and Site Development Permit (SD).

Trees 12 inches and greater in diameter may require an Urban Forestry Permit. Please call (503) 823-4489.
Retaining walls taller than 4’ or any wall with sloping backfill or surcharged Building Permit (RS) ; Site Development Permit (SD) for walls in new subdivision
Add a driveway with new or replacement curb cut Zoning Permit (ZP)
Add paving for driveway with existing, unaltered curb cut Zoning Permit (ZP)
Add a concrete patio on grade (private property) Visit Planning & Zoning staff at the Development Services Center or call (503) 823-7526 to determine if a Zoning Permit (ZP) is needed.
Water Heater:  
New electric water heater Electrical Permit (ET), Plumbing Permit (PT)
New gas water heater Mechanical Permit (MT), Plumbing Permit (PT)
Replace electric to gas Mechanical Permit (MT), Plumbing Permit (PT)
Replace gas to electric Electrical Permit (ET), Plumbing Permit (PT)
In kind (ie. gas to gas, etc.) Plumbing Permit (PT)
Sewer Connection:  
Connection on property Plumbing Permit (PT)
Connection in right of way Utility Connection (UC)
Decommission – Septic tank or Cesspool Septic Evaluation Permit (SE) or included with building permit (RS or CO)
Repair in right of way Utility Repair (UR)