Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

System Development Charges (SDCs)

House conversions to drinking and/or dining establishments usually don't trigger Bureau of Transportation System Development Charges unless the building is larger than 3,000 square feet in floor area. For questions concerning Transportation SDCs, call (503) 823-7002.

BES charges a Sanitary SDC for commercial projects whenever a development permit includes the addition of one or more new plumbing fixtures. (A new "fixture" is a sink, toilet, dishwasher, floor drain, etc.). Different plumbing fixtures are charged at different rates, and whether your business is a full service restaurant versus a deli, coffee shop or bar will affect the rates. Call BES at (503) 823-7761 for more information.

For the Water Bureau, an SDC is based on the size of meter installed. If your new project will include the addition of plumbing fixtures, a larger meter size may be required and an SDC charged. Portland Water Bureau staff is available to answer your SDC questions at (503) 823-7368 or view more information about the SDC.