Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info


The land use zone must allow household living in order to add a residential unit to a non residential building. Residential uses are limited or prohibited in some of the Employment Zones and all of the Industrial Zones. Tables showing the zones and where "household living" is allowed. Call a planner at (503) 823-7526.

A change of use, for purposes of the zoning code, may require bike parking, additional vehicle parking and/or changes to the parking, or paving and landscaping on the site. Exterior changes to a building, in many areas of the city, must go through a design review process to make sure that the proposed changes meet any special design guidelines for the area in which the project is located. The requirement for design review can be triggered by a very minor change, such as installing a replacement window that is not identical to the original.