Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

System Development Charges (SDCs)

System Development Charges (SDCs) are one time fees that could apply when changing the use of a unit. BDS has pulled together information on all the SDCs online. From there, you can also jump to more specific information on each bureau's individual website.

The Bureau of Parks and Recreation charges an SDC to add a new residential unit. Depending on the type of the residential use, the cost of the SDC may vary. A Parks SDC would not apply to convert a residential unit to commercial or mixed use. Call Parks SDC staff at (503) 823-5105 with any questions.

Adding a residential use to a permitted commercial unit, or adding plumbing fixtures along with a commercial use, could result in the Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) charging a Sanitary SDC. BES staff can discuss your project with you if you call (503) 823-7761.

For the Water Bureau, the SDC is based on the size of meter installed. If your new project will include the addition of plumbing fixtures, it is possible that a larger meter size could be required and an SDC charged. Water lines required for sprinkler systems are exempt from SDC fees. Portland Water Bureau staff is available to answer your SDC questions at (503) 823-7368.

The Transportation SDC will depend on the previous use of the space and the size of the dwelling unit. In most cases, a mixed use project will be charged at the commercial rate. Call staff at (503) 823-7002 to discuss the specifics of your project.