Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

System Development Charges (SDC)

System Development Charges are one-time fees charged to help pay for the facilities (such as street and sewer systems) required to meet growth-related needs for the city. SDCs are paid at the time that a development permit is issued. Building owners, but not tenants, can finance the SDCs through the city. BDS has pulled together information on all the SDCs online. From there, you can also jump to more specific information on each bureau's individual website.

If your project will add more than 500 square feet of new and/or redeveloped impervious area, or if your project would change the way stormwater is discharged off the site, then the Bureau of Environmental Services can be expected to charge an SDC. BES also charges a Sanitary SDC for commercial projects whenever a development permit includes the addition of one or more new plumbing fixtures. (A new "fixture" is a sink, toilet, dishwasher, floor drain, etc.). Different plumbing fixtures are charged at different rates, and the type of business also affects the charge. Visit the DSC or call BES at (503) 823-7761 for more information on SDCs.

If your project will add floor area to the building, then the Bureau of Transportation will charge an SDC based on the new floor area. The per square foot rate will depend on the proposed use. Transportation staff is available in the DSC and at (503) 823-7002.

For the Water Bureau, any SDC is based on the size of meter installed. If your new project will include the addition of plumbing fixtures, a larger meter size may be required and an SDC charged. Water lines required for sprinkler systems are exempt from SDC fees. Portland Water Bureau staff is available to answer your SDC questions at (503) 823-7368 or find information.