Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

System Development Charges (SDCs)

System Development Charges are one-time fees charged to help pay for the facilities (such as street and sewer systems) required to meet growth-related needs for the city. SDCs are paid at the time that a development permit is issued. Building owners, but not tenants, can finance the SDCs through the city. BDS has pulled together information on all the SDCs online. From there, you can also jump to more specific information on each bureau's individual website.

For an interior remodeling project that makes no exterior changes and does not change the use, the only System Development Charge that is likely to apply is that charged by the Bureau of Environmental Services (BES). If, during the course of your review, zoning staff requires that you make site improvements that would add paving to the site, you may be charged a BES Stormwater SDC.

BES charges a Sanitary SDC for commercial projects whenever a development permit includes the addition of one or more new plumbing fixtures. (A new "fixture" is a sink, toilet, dishwasher, floor drain, etc.). Different plumbing fixtures are charged at different rates. Call BES at (503) 823-7761 for more information.

Water SDCs are charged based on the size of meter installed. It is possible that, if your project will include the addition of plumbing fixtures, a larger meter size may be required and a Water SDC charged. Water lines required for sprinkler systems are exempt from SDC fees. Portland Water Bureau staff is available to answer your SDC questions at (503) 823-7368.