Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

What trade permits can I purchase online?

You may apply for simple plumbing, electrical, and mechanical permits under your own name and licensure. General Contractors may NOT purchase "third party" permits for subcontractors online. You must be the property owner or a contractor specifically licensed to perform the permitted work.

It is important to note that permits applied for online must not require plan review. If your permit requires plan review, it cannot be purchased online. See what types of permits require plan review? 

Electrical Trade Permits Mechanical Trade Permits Plumbing Trade Permits
  • Residential Wiring
  • Manufactured Home Service
  • Services & Feeders up to 600 amps
  • Temporary Service Feeders
  • Branch Circuits, with or without service feeders
  • Electrical Service Re-connection
  • Pump or Irrigation Circles
  • Sign or Outline Lighting
  • Limited Energy Panel/Signal Circuits
  • Renewable Energy up to 25 kva

Attention Homeowners: 
Electrical installations being made on properties intended for lease, sale, rent, or exchange (i.e. Accessory Dwelling Units) must be made by licensed electrical contractors.

In addition, homeowners may not perform electrical installations on properties that are intended for lease, sale, rent, or exchange


For One and Two-Family Residential Installations ONLY:

  • Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps
  • Furnace/Burner (includes ductwork, vent and liner)
  • Air Handling Units, Hydronic Hot  Water Systems, Boilers, Vents
  • Gas or Wood Fireplace Inserts
  • Chimney/Liner/Flue/Vents
  • Woodstoves, Gas Fireplaces
  • Exhaust & Venting, Attic Fans
  • Gas Fuel Piping
  • Other Appliances—Oil Tanks, Gas or Diesel Generators, Ceramic Kilns

Commercial Mechanical Trade Permits are NOT currently available online. 

  • Rain Drain, Storm Sewer, Water Service Lines (by # of feet)
  • Catch Basin/Area Drains
  • Manufactured Home Utilities
  • All types of plumbing fixtures—washers, ice makers, garbage disposals, drinking fountains, toilets, sinks, tubs/showers, urinals, hose bibs, backwater valves, etc.
  • Replace In-Building Water Supply Lines (by # of floors)
  • Commercial Roof drains
  • Solar Units, Stormwater Tanks


Attention Landscape Contractors: Our online permitting system does not currently recognize Landscape Contractors Board licenses. Please visit the Development Services Center to obtain sprinkler-related permits.