Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

What types of permits require plan review?

If any of the following are applicable to your project, then your permit requires plan review and cannot be purchased online:


Electrical Permits Mechanical Permits Plumbing Permits
  • Fire pump
  • Emergency system
  • Addition of new motor load of 100 HP or more
  • Six or more residential units
  • Health care facilities
  • Hazardous locations
  • Service or feeder over 600 amps
  • Building over three stories
  • Marinas and boatyards
  • Floating buildings
  • Commercial use agricultural buildings
  • Installation of 75 KVA or larger separately derived system
  • A, E, 1-2, 1-3 occupancy recreational vehicle parks

    Note that none of the above are applicable to temporary construction service
  • At this time, Commercial Mechanical Permits are not available online.


Please note: Refunds will NOT be made on Residential Mechanical Permits purchased for projects deemed COMMERCIAL.

  • Food service
  • Medical gas systems
  • Bathroom/Kitchen packages that are part of a Residential New Single Family Dwelling
  • Fire Sprinklers
  • Sewer Connection permits,
  • Sewer caps
  • Sewer lines and Sewer Line Repairs