Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Adult Foster Care

The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) performs electrical and housing inspections in conjunction with Multnomah County's Adult Care Home Program (ACHP). To obtain inspections, applicants must obtain an Adult Care Permit and complete a statement of understanding. These forms are part of the County's ACHP application packet and submitted to the Permit Center at BDS.

For more information about the Adult Care Home Program, please contact the ACHP office at (503)988-3000 ext. 27123, e-mail: or visit their website:

For the City’s Adult Care permit, please complete the following steps:

  • Fill out the “Statement of Understanding” document from the packet of materials you received from the Multnomah County Adult Care Home Program. Please note that the Statement of Understanding must be signed by the property owner of record.

  • To purchase an Adult Care Permit from the City of Portland, bring the “Statement of Understanding and “Adult Care Home Application” documents to the Bureau of Development Services (BDS), Permit Center (1900 SW 4th Ave, 1st floor) and purchase an Adult Care Permit.  Current hours of operation are on the BDS homepage

  • Request an Adult Care Home Safety inspection by calling 503-823-7000 and enter the IVR number given to you when you purchased the Adult Care permit. The IVR number is found on your receipt. By using the 440 inspection code you will request the Safety Inspection. *NOTE an inspector will not come out until you have called 503-823-7000 and requested an inspection.

    Be sure to provide access to the structure and all the electrical equipment for the inspector.

    The inspector from BDS will look for fire, life, and safety problems, structural maintenance issues, electrical issues, and work done without permits. If violations are found, the homeowner and applicant will receive a Housing Violation letter and will be required to make corrections within a specific period of time (usually 30 days). If the inspector cites violations that require work be completed under a permit, a licensed contractor must complete the corrections. The licensed contractor must obtain a separate permit(s) for these corrections. If corrections are not made within the required timeline, fees/fines will be imposed.

  • Once the safety inspection has been completed and the property approved, BDS will send an Adult Care Facility Notice of Compliance by United States Postal Service to the applicant. It is the applicant’s responsibility to send that with their application to Multnomah County Adult Care Home Program. A copy of the document is also mailed to the homeowner (if the owner is not the applicant).

For questions about inspections related to ACHP applications, please contact BDS Enforcement Section at (503) 823-0891.