It is important to review, in its entirety, all the information contained on this website and Portland Zoning Code Section 33.207.
- If you are ready to pursue a permit you need to download and print the Type A - Accessory Short-Term Rental Permit Application – 1&2 Dwelling Structure. Please pay special attention to the Application Checklist to ensure that all required items are completed. Please note that you will need to include notarized signatures by the property owner (or authorized agent), resident, and operator (if applicable).
- You will need to prepare and mail or deliver a Neighborhood Notification letter which needs to be distributed to all recognized organizations whose boundaries include the accessory short term rental, and all resident and owners of property abutting or across the street from the accessory short term rental. See a description of the Type A - Accessory short term rental permit notice area. You will need to include a copy of your neighborhood notification and a list of addresses notified as part of the application process. For the name and address of your neighborhood association and district coalition office, contact the Office of Community & Civic Life at 503-823-4519 or www.portlandoregon.gov/civic/28386.
- Accessory short-term rental permits are not available via online permitting at this time. In order to avoid wait times, customers are strongly encouraged to mail complete applications with check payment to BDS (address for mailing is on the application). Customers needing to submit complete applications with credit card or cash payment will need to visit the Development Services Center during regular business hours. Detailed information on submitting the application is contained on the Application Checklist.
The accessory short-term rental permit fee (for permits without an inspection) is $65.00 If the permit is randomly selected for a required BDS inspection, additional inspection fees of $110.00 is required. If a BDS inspection verifies that the required interconnected smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms were not installed at the time of the initial inspection, a $110 reinspection fee will be assessed to verify compliance after the necessary corrections have been made.
- Apply for a business license. Everyone doing business in the City of Portland is required to register their business. No payment is due with the registration form and businesses grossing less than $50,000 per year before expenses are exempt from the City of Portland Business License Tax. However, if exempt you will need to make an annual filing to support the exemption request. Also, operators of accessory short-term rentals must collect transient lodging taxes (occupancy tax) from their overnight guests and remit to the City of Portland and to Multnomah County. More information can be found on business license and transient lodging taxes at the City of Portland Revenue Bureau’s website: www.portlandoregon.gov/revenue
- After your application has been reviewed, BDS staff will review your application. Your application will either be approved and a permit will be mailed to you or you will be contacted if your application is incomplete or if the permit is selected for a random BDS inspection. If you have questions, please contact the Property Compliance Division at 503-823-2633.