It is important to review, in its entirety, all the information contained on this website and Portland Zoning Code Section 33.207.
- If you are ready to pursue a permit you need to download and print the Type A - Accessory Short-Term Rental Permit Application – Multi-Dwelling Structure (3 units or more). Please pay special attention to the Application Checklist to ensure that all required items are completed. Note that you will need to include notarized signatures from the property owner (or authorized agent), resident, and operator (if applicable).
- You will need to prepare and mail or deliver a Neighborhood Notification letter which needs to be distributed to all recognized organizations whose boundaries include the accessory short term rental, the property manager if there is one, and all residents and owners of dwelling units abutting, across the hall from, above, and below the accessory dwelling unit. You will need to include a copy of your neighborhood notification and a list of addresses notified as part of the application process. For the name and address of your neighborhood association and district coalition office, contact the Office of Community & Civic Life at 503-823-4519 or www.portlandoregon.gov/civic/28386.
- If you are proposing an accessory short term rental in a building subject to Chapter 13 regulations you will need to contact the Fire Marshal’s Office (please see instructions under What is the Inspection Process) for written documentation that the building has a fire sprinkler system that protects the exit ways.
- Accessory short-term rental permits are not available via online permitting at this time. In order to avoid wait times, customers are strongly encouraged to mail complete applications with check payment to BDS (address for mailing is on the application). Customers needing to submit complete applications with credit card or cash payment will need to visit the Development Services Center during regular business hours. Detailed information on submitting the application is contained on the Application Checklist.
The accessory short-term rental permit fees is $105.00.
- Apply for a business license. Everyone doing business in the City of Portland is required to register their business. No payment is due with the registration form and businesses grossing less than $50,000 per year before expenses are exempt from the City of Portland Business License Tax. However, if exempt you will need to make an annual filing to support the exemption request. Also, operators of accessory short-term rentals must collect transient lodging taxes (occupancy tax) from their overnight guests and remit to the City of Portland and to Multnomah County. More information can be found on business license and transient lodging taxes at the City of Portland Revenue Bureau’s website: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/revenue
- After your application has been received, either via mail or DSC intake, BDS staff will review your application. Your application will either be approved and a permit will be mailed to you or you will be contacted if your application is incomplete or if there are other questions with your permit submittal. If you have questions after you submit the application, please contact the Neighborhood Inspections & Compliance Services Section at (503) 823-2633.