Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

What happens after my approval? - Type B Permit

What ongoing records or actions must I complete to remain in compliance with my ASTR permit? 

As part of the management of a Type B Accessory Short-Term Rental you must keep and maintain a guest log book that includes the names and home addresses of guests, guest’s license plate numbers if traveling by car, dates of stay, and the room assigned to each guest. The log must be available for inspection by City staff upon request.

Keep your business license for your accessory short-term rental business current with the City of Portland Revenue Bureau and collect transient lodging taxes (occupancy tax) from your overnight guests and remit these taxes to the City of Portland. For more information contact the City of Portland Revenue Bureau

What happens if I am noncompliant with my Conditional Use land use review approval?

Citations with civil penalties of $1,103 - $5,513 may be issued for violations of Chapter 33.207 or an approved land use review.

Am I responsible for my short-term rental tenant’s behaviors?

As a resident, either the property owner or a tenant, it is expected that you will manage your accessory short-term rental so that guests will be respectful of the neighborhood in which you live and be courteous to your neighbors. Livability concerns related to noise (cars, rolling luggage, loud human voices), late night activity by your overnight guests, and street parking are some of the livability issues that you should plan for and address if brought up as a concern. Your attention to these types of livability concerns in residential areas will help ensure the success of this new visitor lodging accommodation in Portland.

For an overview of the Type B Conditional Use process and guidance on issues to consider before applying, see this handout.