Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Development Services

From Concept to Construction

Phone: 503-823-7300


1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

BDS Announces Search for Citizens to Serve on the River Community Advisory Committee and the Floating Structures Board of Appeals

City of Portland, Bureau of Development Services

The City of Portland’s Bureau of Development Services (BDS) would like to request applications to fill positions on the River Community Advisory Committee (RCAC) and the Floating Structures Board of Appeal (FSBA). 

River Community Advisory Committee (RCAC)

The RCAC is a citizen advisory body comprised of 6 (six) members who represent a variety of floating structures interests. The committee assists BDS with the development of procedures and administrative guidelines for implementing Title 28 of the City code (Floating Structures).  

Members are appointed to 3-year (three-year) terms and shall include, but not be limited to, a floating home resident, a marina operator, a floating structures contractor, a design professional, a yacht club member, and an on the water business owner. RCAC meets 5 (five) times annually for one hour during normal business hours. 

Floating Structures Board of Appeal (FSBA)

The FSBA assists in determining the suitability of alternate materials and methods of construction, provides reasonable interpretation of the provisions in Title 28 of the City code (Floating Structures), and hears and rules on appeals. Members are appointed to 3-year (three-year) terms. The FSBA meets rarely, as needed, to hear appeals. When appeals are filed, the FSBA meetings are scheduled in advance during normal business hours. Otherwise, the Board meets at least once annually to elect a chair. 

The board consists of  members and  alternates as follows:

  • Members or their respective alternates as follows:
    • An architect or engineer knowledgeable in the design of floating structures.
    • A contractor knowledgeable in the construction, maintenance and repair of floating structures.
    • A member at large who is from 1 (one) of the following interest groups:
      • a for-profit moorage representative,
      • a non-profit moorage representative,
      • a yacht club representative, or,
      • a floating home resident.

Application Process

If you, or someone you know, are interested in serving on either the RCAC or the FSBA, please contact the Office of Neighborhood Involvement (ONI) at 503-823-4519 for the application form. The form may also be accessed through the ONI website at

For more information about the RCAC or the FSBA, you may contact Mitch Nickolds, Inspection Services Manager with the Bureau of Development Services at 503-823-1054 or Mitch.Nickolds@PortlandOregon.Gov .