City Council will hear proposed amendments to Title 11, Trees, regarding tree preservation in development situations on Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. time certain, Council Chambers at City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Avenue.
Due to recent public concern about large trees being removed in development situations in Portland neighborhoods, amendments to Title 11, Trees, are proposed to strengthen regulations pertaining to tree preservation, especially preservation of large sized trees, in development situations. The proposed amendments aim to:
- Revise the mitigation requirement (payment into the Tree Planting and Preservation Fund) for trees removed to be based on the size of the tree removed. Currently, the same mitigation is required for all trees removed regardless of size.
- Add a notification requirement when trees of a certain size are removed.
Staff from the Portland Parks and Recreation and from the Bureau of Development Services created two initial proposals to address this issue. Following that, the Planning and Sustainability Commission (PSC) and the Urban Forestry Commission (UFC) held hearings and developed recommendations to City Council. Each proposal and a comparison table of the proposals can be found at the following links:
- Portland Parks and Recreation staff proposal (November 3, 2015)
- Bureau of Development Services staff proposal (December 11, 2015)
- PSC recommendation (January 20, 2016)
- UFC recommendation (January 29, 2016)
- Comparison Table showing current regulations, Portland Parks and Recreation staff proposal, Bureau of Development Services staff proposal, PSC recommendation, and UFC recommendation
Since the PSC and UFC recommendations, Commissioners Amanda Fritz and Dan Saltzman have developed the following proposal to be considered at City Council (Fritz/Saltzman Proposal).
- Fritz/Saltzman Proposal (February 18, 2016)
Testimony can be made in person at the hearing, or may be submitted in writing. Email written testimony to the Council Clerk at CCTestimony@portlandoregon.gov or send to 1221 SW Fourth Avenue, Room 130, Portland, Oregon 97204. Written testimony must be received by the time of the hearing and must include your name and address.
Questions may be directed to Emily Sandy at the Bureau of Development Services, Emily.Sandy@portlandoregon.gov, (503) 823-7828.