January 26, 2017
Updated with Potential Service Impacts: Inclusionary Housing Changes to Zoning Code and Housing Code Effective February 1, 2017
On December 21, 2016, City Council voted unanimously to amend Portland’s Zoning Code and Housing Code to implement an Inclusionary Housing Program. The following projects are subject to the new requirements:
- New buildings with 20 or more dwelling units; and
- Alterations to existing buildings that add 20 or more dwelling units.
Effective Date of Inclusionary Housing (IH) Program Requirements
The new Inclusionary Housing (IH) Program requirements go into effect on February 1, 2017. For background information on the new requirements, visit the Inclusionary Housing Program website and for information about the related changes to the zoning code, see the Inclusionary Housing Zoning Code Project website.
The zoning code provides three alternative ways to meet the requirements:
- Provide the required affordable dwelling units on the site of the project;
- Provide the required affordable dwelling units off-site; or
- A fee in lieu of providing the affordable dwelling units must be paid.
The percentage of dwelling units required to be affordable, and the minimum rates of affordability vary. These requirements are found in the zoning code, in chapter 33.245:
Vesting A Project Under Existing Zoning Code Regulations
To learn more about how changes in land use regulations may affect Land Use Review and Building Permit applications please see our Vesting FAQ.
Minimum Submittal Requirements
- Commercial Building Permit Application Submittal Requirements. For information on minimum submittal requirements and fees for commercial building permits please visit our Commercial New Construction and Additions webpage or contact our Permitting Services Section by visiting the Development Services Center (hours of operation) or calling 503-823-7357 (calls returned in one-to-two business days).
- Land Use Review Application Submittal Requirements. For information on minimum submittal requirements and fees for land use review applications please contact our Planning and Zoning Section by visiting the Development Services Center (hours of operation) or calling 503-823-7526 (calls returned in one-to-two business days).
We encourage Land Use Review and Building Permit applicants interested in vesting projects under current Zoning Code requirements to contact us with questions and submit applications as early as possible. This will help ensure that minimum submittal requirements are met, the application can be deemed complete and intake review fees can be paid. To ensure multi-family projects conform with minimum submittal requires, until February 1, 2017, BDS is temporarily suspending the use of the “Straight to Intake Form” for all multi-family projects with 20 or more units.
The City of Portland is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7300, the TTY at 503-823-6868 or the Oregon Relay Service: 711.
503-823-7300 Traducción e interpretación | Chuyển Ngữ hoặc Phiên Dịch | 翻译或传译
Письменныйили устный перевод | 翻訳または通訳 | Traducere sau Interpretare
번역 및 통역 | Письмовий або усний переклад | Turjumida ama Fasiraadda