CUSTOMER & COMMUNITY NOTIFICATION
September 22, 2017
Commercial Building Permits: Electric vehicle ready parking shall be provided for new parking facilities where 50 or more open parking spaces are proposed
Effective October 1, 2017,the State of Oregon will enact a program that requires electric vehicle infrastructure to be installed to new parking facilities constructed in the cities of Portland, Eugene, Salem and Gresham. As such, the Bureau of Development Services will review permit applications for compliance with this new program. Plans and construction documents for new parking facilities must include electric vehicle parking spaces and electric vehicle charging station conduits that are clearly identified, and in accordance with OAR 918-020-0380. For a complete list of requirements and contact information, please visit the State of Oregon Building Codes Division – Notice of Permanent Rule that can be found at this link: http://www.oregon.gov/bcd/laws-rules/Documents/rules/20170710-evready-pr.pdf.
Per OAR 918-020-038, the electric vehicle ready parking program applies in the following situations:
1) The following occupancy classifications as specified in the Oregon Structural Specialty Code:
- Group B – Business;
- Group M – Mercantile;
- Group R-2 – Residential; and
- Group S-2 – Parking garages
2) New construction of an entirely new structure on a site. Additions are not considered new construction.
3) New construction of parking facilities with 50 or more open parking spaces. Five percent of the open parking spaces must be available for future installation of electric vehicle charging stations. Fractional numbers derived from this calculation must be rounded up to the nearest whole number.
Permit applications that do not include electric vehicle ready parking spaces, when applicable, will be asked to revise plans to meet this requirement.
For more information, please contact Brett Welland at Brett.Welland@portlandoregon.gov or (503) 823-7289.
Please subscribe to receive other Bureau of Development Services notification.
The City of Portland is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7300, the TTY at 503-823-6868 or the Oregon Relay Service: 711. 503-823-7300 Traducción e interpretación | Chuyển Ngữ hoặc Phiên Dịch | 翻译或传译 Письменныйили устный перевод | 翻訳または通訳 | Traducere sau Interpretare 번역 및 통역 | Письмовий або усний переклад | Turjumida ama Fasiraadda