The River Environmental overlay zone is applied within the Central Reach of the Willamette River, which falls within Central City Plan District. River Review is required when a development or regulated activity in the River Environmental overlay zone is not exempt from the River Environmental overlay zone regulations and either does not meet the standards of subsection 33.475.440, or there are no development standards applicable to the proposal. River Review can also be triggered when corrections to violations of the River Environmental overlay zone regulations are warranted, or when an applicant wishes to modify the River Environmental overlay zone. The purpose of the River Review is to protect, conserve, and enhance identified resources and functional values in the River Environmental overlay zone, compensate for unavoidable significant detrimental impact to those resources and functional values, and ensure the success of mitigation and enhancement activities.
River Review Procedure
River Reviews are processed using a Type IIx procedure, except as described in 33.475.450.B.4 when River Review is required to correct a violation of the River Environmental overlay zone regulations. River Reviews for corrections to violations are processed through either a Type II or Type III procedure.
Type III River Reviews will always require a Pre-Application Conference. Optional Early Assistance Appointments are available to discuss your development plans with an environmental planner prior to submitting a proposal for review.
Information found in Portland Zoning Code Chapters 33.475 and 33.865 will identify the specific river regulations which may apply to your proposal. The Zoning Code Subsections can be accessed at online at www.portlandoregon.gov/zoningcode
- Application for Land Use Reviews – Complete this application form to apply.
- Early Assistance Application – An optional Early Assistance appointment may be requested to identify and discuss any major issues that may impact the River Review process.
- Chapter 33.475 – River Overlay Zones
- Chapter 33.865 – River Review
- River Review Submittal Checklist – Use this checklist to prepare River Review applications
- Willamette River Central Reach Natural Resources Protection Plan
- Summary of Procedure Types – Summarizes all procedure types
- Type II Procedure – Outline of timeline for Type II procedure
- Type IIx Procedure – Outline of timeline for Type IIx procedure
- Type III Procedure – Outline of timeline for Type III procedure
- Portland Plant List – Extensive list of native plants and the various Portland plant communities
- Fee Schedule for Land Use Reviews – A list of all land use fees