CUSTOMER & COMMUNITY NOTIFICATION
November 13, 2018
Contact: Mieke Keenan, Mieke.Keenan@portlandoregon.gov (503) 823-5779
Amendments to Title 4, Original Art Murals
The Bureau of Development Services will hold the first discussion group meeting regarding amendments to Title 4, Original Art Murals, on Monday, November 19, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. at the Bureau of Development Services, 1900 SW 4th Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97201, Conference Room 4A. This is a public meeting and the public is welcome to attend. There will be no public comment period.
The following amendments are under consideration. Items 1-3 below will be discussed at the first meeting.
- Murals are defined with a limitation that they are applied to the exterior walls of buildings. Consider expanding the definition to allow murals on other structures visible from the right-of-way, such as retaining walls, stairwells, pedestrian bridges, and bridge support structures.
- Related to number 1, the code and Administrative Rules, Permitting Original Art Murals refer to buildings and building owners. Property owner may be a better term if the allowable surfaces for art murals is expanded.
- The code requires that a mural remain unchanged for 5-years. This length of time can discourage prospective property owners from committing to a mural. Additionally, there is interest in the broader art mural community to feature walls that can accommodate multiple murals changing within a set timeframe.
- Title 4 and the Administrative Rules, do not allow any murals on street facing walls in the Central City that are closer than 20-feet from a street lot line. Consider allowing murals on any street facing wall in the Central City.
- There is a confusing distinction between the maximum mural height of 30-ft in Title 4 and the maximum height allowed in design overlay zones in the Administrative Rules (up to the floor level of the 3rd floor). Consider clarifying this distinction.
Please subscribe to receive other Bureau of Development Services notifications.
The City of Portland is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7300, the TTY at 503-823-6868 or the Oregon Relay Service: 711. 503-823-7300 Traducción e interpretación | Chuyển Ngữ hoặc Phiên Dịch | 翻译或传译 | Письменныйили устный перевод | 翻訳または通訳 | Traducere sau Interpretare | 번역 및 통역 | Письмовий або усний переклад | Turjumida ama Fasiraadda