December 14, 2018
City Council to require Unreinforced Masonry Building (URM) Owners to
Placard and Notify Tenants Per Ordinance 189201
To reduce the risk posed by unreinforced masonry (URM) buildings, Portland City Council passed Ordinance 189201 requiring owners of URM buildings to notify tenants and visitors that the structure is a URM. The ordinance was passed on October 10, 2018. Notifications to owners of Public buildings informing them of the requirements of the ordinance and how to comply with these requirements were mailed December 7,2018. Notifications to other owners will be sent beginning the first week in January 2019.
Placarding and Tenant Notification Requirements
The ordinance requires that:
- A placard be posted on all URM buildings that reads: “This Building is an Unreinforced Masonry Building. Unreinforced Masonry Buildings may be unsafe in an event of a major earthquake.”
- The building owner must notify existing tenants that the building is an unreinforced masonry building, and unreinforced masonry buildings may be unsafe in the event of a major earthquake.
- In addition to a placard, every lease or rental agreement entered into or renewed after the timeline for placarding noted below, must contain a statement that: “This Building is an Unreinforced Masonry Building. Unreinforced Masonry Buildings may be unsafe in an event of a Major Earthquake.”
- Building owners must record an agreement not to remove the placard and acknowledgment of compliance with tenant notification requirements.
The ordinance requires URM owners to post a placard according to the following timeline:
- Publicly-owned buildings: On or before January 1,2019
- Non-profit buildings: On or before November 1, 2020
- All other buildings: On or before March 1, 2019
- Be at least 8”x10” inches
- Have lettering in at least 50-point bold font
- Be posted in a conspicuous location on the exterior at the main entrance with the following language: “This Building is an Unreinforced Masonry Building. Unreinforced Masonry Buildings may be unsafe in an event of a major earthquake.”
It is not required to post the placard in languages other than English, but if the building serves people who are not fluent in English, it is recommended to post the information in those additional languages.
The placard should meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Sign Installation Guidelines. The ADA requirements are also explained in this Quick Reference Guide.
Exceptions to Placarding and Tenant Notifications
Buildings that have been retrofitted to the following standards will not require a placard or tenant notification:
- Collapse prevention standard for BSE-2 seismic hazards or life safety for BSE-1 seismic hazard as defined in American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) 41-17 or ASCE 41-13 are not required to post a placard or notify tenants
For buildings that were retrofitted before January 1, 2018, either:
- Life Safety standard using FEMA 178, FEMA 310, or ASCE 31; or
- Oregon Structural Specialty Code 1993 edition or later
Portland Fire and Rescue will inspect the placement of placards as part of their inspection program and will work with BDS Enforcement Section to enforce the requirements for placards.
BDS Enforcement Section will use its existing enforcement program and authority to enforce the requirements for placarding and tenant notification.
- Instructions for how to bring a URM building into compliance with Ordinance 189201 are available here.
- BDS will create administrative rules that clarify how to provide documentation to show compliance with the new regulations.
- See the Frequently Asked Questions on Placarding and Tenant Notification Requirements for URM buildings here.
Contact: Amit Kumar, Senior Structural Engineer, Engineering Plan Review Services
The City of Portland is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7300, the TTY at 503-823-6868 or the Oregon Relay Service: 711. Traducción e interpretación | Chuyển Ngữ hoặc Phiên Dịch
翻译或传译 | Письменныйили устный перевод | 翻訳または通訳 | Traducere sau Interpretare
번역 및 통역 | Письмовий або усний переклад | Turjumida ama Fasiraadda