CUSTOMER & COMMUNITY NOTIFICATION
December 21, 2018
Contact: Emily Sandy, Emily.Sandy@portlandoregon.gov (503) 823-7828
Revisions to Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Program Guide Effective Dec. 21, 2018
The Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Program Guide has been revised to provide clarification on current requirements and regulations for accessory dwelling units. Please be aware of the following changes made in the guide, effective December 21, 2018:
- Following legislation effective August 1, 2018, System Development Charges (SDC) waivers will be granted only when the ADU is not used as Accessory Short-Term Rental for a period of 10 years. More information on the SDC Waiver Program can be found here.
- The Construction Standards Section in the program guide now clarifies that the requirements of the building code must be met, except where alternate standards in the program guide are provided. The revised guide more clearly differentiates between requirements for ADUs in a new structure vs. ADUs created through conversion of or addition to an existing structure, where appropriate.
- When converting an existing finished space to an ADU, a new requirement states that a permit for the finished space in question must have been obtained and received approval of final inspection at least 2 years prior to application for the ADU permit to use the alternate construction standards for fire separation (V.D.2.b in the program guide).
- The revised guide also provides clarification and information about:
- Electrical access requirements
- Requirements of Title 11; Trees;
- Addressing requirements;
- Temporary street use permits, if needed during construction
To view the revised guide, click here.
Note: This program guide was further updated, effective January 10, 2019, with corrected information regarding Bureau of Transportation System Development Charges (SDCs).
Please subscribe to receive other Bureau of Development Services notifications.
The City of Portland is committed to providing meaningful access. For accommodations, modifications, translation, interpretation or other services, please call 503-823-7300, the TTY at 503-823-6868 or the Oregon Relay Service: 711. 503-823-7300 Traducción e interpretación | Chuyển Ngữ hoặc Phiên Dịch
翻译或传译 | Письменныйили устный перевод | 翻訳または通訳 | Traducere sau Interpretare
번역 및 통역 | Письмовий або усний переклад | Turjumida ama Fasiraadda