The regulations of the Zoning Code are designed to implement the goals and policies of the Comprehensive Plan. These regulations apply city-wide, but because of the city’s diversity, some sites are difficult to develop in compliance with the regulations. The adjustment review process provides a mechanism by which the regulations in the Zoning Code may be modified if the proposed development continues to meet the intended purpose of those regulations. Adjustment reviews provide flexibility for unusual situations and to allow for alternative ways to meet the purpose of the regulation.
When preparing an adjustment application, the approval criteria require you to specifically address the purpose statement of the standard being adjusted. The purpose statement is found preceding the development standard in the relevant chapter.
A request for an adjustment is processed through a Type II procedure and results in an administrative (staff) decision. Below is the process for a Type II Adjustment:
- Pre-Application Conference - Optional unless it is a specific requirement of a review.
- Completeness - Staff notifies applicant of any missing information or materials within 14 days of submittal.
- Public Notice - Upon receipt of a complete application, public notice is mailed to all property owners within 150 feet and to the recognized organizations within 400 feet of the site. At least 21 days are allowed for public comment.
- Decision - Made administratively by staff within 28 days after the application is determined to be complete.
- Appeal - To local hearings bodies, such as the Adjustment Committee or the Hearings Officer, depending on the land use review.
- Application for Land Use Reviews - Complete this application form to apply.
- Application Packet Checklist for Land Use Reviews - Use this list to identify submittal requirements.
- Chapter 33.805, Portland Zoning Code
- Adjustment Approval Criteria - Address approval criteria with your Adjustment application.
- Summary of Procedure Types - Summarizes all procedure types.
- Type II Procedure Timeline - Outline of timeline for Type II Procedures.
- Adjustment - Example of a Type II Decision - Example of a decision for an adjustment for an addition to an existing residence.
- Adjustment - Example of Application Packet - Provide an example of what an adjustment application looks like.
- Adjustment - Summary of Purpose Statements for Single-Dwelling Zones
- Fee Schedule for Land Use Reviews - A list of all land use fees.
- Fee Schedule for Land Use Reviews in Unincorporated Multnomah County