1. What are the minimum submittal requirements for Fire Alarm permit applications?
2. What are the minimum submittal requirements for Fire Fixed System permit applications?
3. What are the minimum submittal requirements for Fire Sprinkler system permit applications?
4. What are the minimum submittal requirements to install/remove Tanks, Cylinders & Equipment applications?
Yes. A final inspection is always required.
6. When are fire alarm upgrades required as relates to existing buildings and remodel work?
Upgrades requirements are handled on a case by case basis. Questions should be directed to your assigned Fire Inspector / Plan Reviewer.
7. Is a permit required for an access reader?
Yes. Access readers do require an electrical permit, building permit (the location of the access reader may impact emergency egress from a tenant space or building), and possibly a permit through Portland Fire & Rescue.
8. What permits are required for a new or modified fire alarm system?
- An electrical permit for the wiring of the system
- A Portland Fire & Rescue permit for the design of the system and layout of the devices
9. When are Fire Alarm/Sprinkler/Fixed Extinguish/HM plans required?
Plans are submitted as part of the Fire permit process. If the Fire reviewer needs additional information, they’ll contact permit applicant.
10. What information should be provided as part of the request for inspection?
- Permit Number
- Site Address
- Type of Inspection
- Contractor Information
- Site Contact Information
11. How long will my permit take to issue?
Permit issuance is directly related to the complexity of the project. On average Trade Applications have been running approximately 3 to 5 days. The completeness of the submittal will also affect this time line.
12. Who should call for the inspections?
The contractor doing the work should call their Fire Inspector directly to schedule inspections.
13. Submit plans to:
Bureau of Development Services
1900 SW 4th Ave – 2nd Floor
Portland, OR 97201
14. What number can I call for questions?
Please call the Fire Marshal Permit Office at 503-823-3712