Design Review is used to ensure the conservation, enhancement, and continued vitality of the identified scenic, architectural, and cultural values of each design district or area and to promote quality development near transit facilities.
Design Review is required for certain development proposals for development located within the Design Overlay Zone. The Design Overlay Zone is shown on the Official Zoning Maps with a letter ’d’ map symbol. For some proposals, the applicant may choose to meet the objective standards of Chapter 33.218, Community Design Standards instead of going through the Design Review process set out in Chapter 33.825, Design Review.
As part of the Design Review application, a Modification or Adjustment may be required if the proposal does not meet certain development standards.
- Design Modifications may be requested as part of the design review for standards that are not met.
- Adjustments may be requested concurrent with the design review for use-related standards that are not met (such as floor area rations, intensity of use, size of the use, number of uses, or concentration of uses).
Design Reviews are processed through a Type Ix, Type II, or Type III procedure. For review thresholds, see Portland Zoning Code Section 33.825.025. A Pre-application conference is required prior to submittal of all Type III reviews. A Design Advice Request is an optional request for feedback from the Design Commission prior to submittal of a Type III design review or Type III historic design review. An optional Early Assistance Appointment may also be requested for less complex projects not requiring a pre-application conference.
APPROVAL CRITERIA FOR DESIGN REVIEW
Applicable approval criteria depends on the location of the project site within the ‘d’ overlay zone.
- The approval criteria for sites within designated design districts are the design guidelines adopted for that area. View the maps at the end of Chapter 33.420 to see if the site is located within a design district. View the adopted design guidelines and Community Design Guidelines
- The approval criteria for sites not within designated design districts are the Community Design Guidelines.
- Application for Land Use Reviews - Complete this application form to apply.
- Application Packet Checklist for Land Use Reviews - Use this list to identify submittal requirements.
- Early Assistance Application - A pre-application conference is required for all Type III Land Use Reviews. Optional Pre-application conferences are also available to discuss other projects. Optional Early Assistance appointment are also available.
- Waiver within 120 days - Sign this form within 21 days of application date to allow submittal of new information if a Type III decision is appealed.
- Design Review Application Process
- Design Guidelines - Address applicable Design Guidelines with your design review application.
- Neighborhood Contact - Certain types of proposals require a neighborhood contact prior to submittal of application.
- Summary of Procedure Types - Summarizes all procedure types.
- Type Ix Procedure - Outline of timeline for Type I Procedures.
- Type II Procedure - Outline of timeline for Type II Procedures.
- Type III Procedure - Outline of timeline for Type III Procedures.
- Chapter 33.420, Design Overlay Zone
- Chapter 33.825, Design Review
- Fee Schedule for Land Use Reviews - A list of all land use fees.