ZONING MAP AMENDMENTS
Zoning Map Amendments in compliance with the Comprehensive Plan Map designation may be approved if adequate public services are capable of supporting the uses allowed by the zone or will be capable by the time the development is complete. Comprehensive Plan Map designations will be shown in parenthesis on the official zoning maps. The zoning map amendment process allows the City to assess the adequacy of services including water supply, transportation system structure and capacity, police and fire protection, and sanitary waste disposal and stormwater disposal systems.
In order to determine if adequate public services are available for the uses allowed by the proposed zone, you should contact the appropriate city service agency as identified in the handout Zoning Map Amendment Approval Criteria.
COMPREHENSIVE PLAN MAP AMENDMENTS
The Comprehensive Plan is adopted by the City Council and includes Goals, Policies, Objectives and a Plan Map which guide the future development and redevelopment of the City. Portland’s Comprehensive Plan also demonstrates how the City complies with State and Regional land use planning requirements.
If the desired zone is shown in parenthesis on the official zoning maps, only a Zoning Map Amendment is required.
If a zone change is to a zone not identified in parenthesis on the official zoning maps, then a comprehensive Plan Map Amendment and Zoning Map Amendment are both required to change the zone. Both of these reviews must be submitted concurrently.
ZONING MAP ERROR CORRECTION
To change the zoning line on a property that has been placed incorrectly, you may request a Zoning Map Error Correction review. Zoning Map Error Corrections may be requested for situations where a map line is not placed where it was intended to go (such as along the centerline of a creek), or where there is a clear legislative intent for where the line should be located. These and other situations where a map error correction request may be made are outlined in section 33.855.070 of the Zoning Code.
MODIFICATION OF ZONE BOUNDARIES
Modification of environmental zone boundaries that reflect permitted changes in the location or quality of resource areas may be allowed if approval criteria are met. Minor modifications to environmental zone boundaries may also be requested based on a detailed site specific environmental study. See section 33.430.250 in Chapter 33.430.
ZONING CHANGES PROCEDURE
Requests for Zoning Map Amendments and Comprehensive Plan Map Amendments are processed through a Type III procedure. The final decision for Comprehensive Plan Map Amendments is made by City Council. A Pre-Application Conference is required prior to submittal.
- Application for Land Use Reviews - Complete this application form to apply for a Zoning Map Amendment or Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment..
- Application Packet Checklist for Land Use Reviews - Use this list to identify submittal requirements.
- Early Assistance Application - A pre-application conference is required for all Type III Land Use Reviews.
- Waiver within 120 days - Sign this form within 21 days of application date to allow submittal of new information if a Type III decision is appealed.
- Zoning Map Error Correction Request Form - Complete this form to request that the Bureau of Development Services initiate a map error correction on your property.
- Approval Criteria for Zoning Map Amendments - Address approval criteria for your Zoning Map Amendment application.
- Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment - Approval Criteria - Address approval criteria for your Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment.
- Community, Area and Neighborhood Plans - Address applicable neighborhood and community plans for your Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment.
- Comprehensive Plan Goals and Policies - Address the Comprehensive Plan Goals and Policies as part of your Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment review.
- Summary of Procedure Types - Summarizes all procedure types.
- Type II Procedure Timeline - Outline of timeline for Type II Procedures.
- Type III Procedure - Outline of timeline for Type III Procedures.
- 33.810 Comprehensive Plan Map Amendments
- 33.855 Zoning Map Amendments
- Fee Schedule for Land Use Reviews - A list of all land use fees.
- Fee Schedule for Land Use Reviews in Unincorporated Multnomah County