Southeast Sewer Extension Project
Environmental Services – your sewer and stormwater utility – is extending the public sewer system in several locations across southeast Portland. This work is part of the City’s ongoing effort to provide property owners a way to directly and independently connect to the public sewer system. The project will also help protect public health, property, and the environment by increasing the capacity of the public sewer system, reducing the potential for basement backups, and reducing the likelihood of emergency work in the future.
Open trench construction will be used to complete all work. Go to www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/opentrench to view photos and learn more. After sewer construction, crews will backfill trenches and apply a temporary asphalt patch. The temporary patch may be in place for several weeks while quality control inspections occur. After all work has met required standards, crews will return to apply a permanent patch.
Construction will occur in 2019 and take about four to five weeks at each location to install new public sewer pipe (see map below for locations). The City’s contractor will provide notice to adjacent properties one to two weeks before construction begins. All work will occur between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the option of working Saturdays.
- Work on Rhone between 10th and 11th completed June 2019.
- Work on Clinton between 15th and 16th has not been scheduled.
- Construction completed January 2019.
- Work began September 2019 and will take about 6 to 8 weeks to complete.
- Work to be scheduled.
- Construction on Belmont between 69th and 70th completed May 2019.
- Construction on Morrison between Scott Drive and 70th is anticipated to begin in October 2019 and will take approximately 6 to 8 weeks to complete.
- Construction completed on the Crystal Springs segment January 2019.
- Construction on Reed College Place between Rex and Knapp has not been scheduled.
- Construction completed April 2019.
What to Expect Before Construction
You can expect the following activities to occur prior to construction:
- Tree Trimming: To accommodate the large equipment needed to complete this project, certified arborists will supervise trimming of street trees and some private trees in the project area. The trimming will remove low branches that are overhanging the street to reduce the possibility of large equipment damaging trees and to help ensure public safety. Limbs over the sidewalk will not be trimmed as part of this project.
- Other Pre-construction Activities: Before construction you may also see crews surveying, marking utilities, and bringing equipment and supplies to the project area. Some equipment and materials will be stored on your street or nearby streets overnight.
What to expect during construction
You can expect the following activities during construction:
- Local Access: Local access to all properties will be maintained, but construction activities may impact or delay normal use of your driveway. Please allow for extra time for our crews to make the area safe before entering or leaving the construction area.
- Traffic Delays: You should also expect traffic delays in and near the work area. Please observe traffic control devices and signs, and follow the directions of flaggers if present.
- Parking Restrictions: On-street parking will be restricted in and near the work zones to create a safe work environment and to stage equipment and materials.
- Equipment Storage: Some equipment and materials may be stored overnight on your street, nearby streets, or other public right-of-way areas.
- Noise, Vibration, and Dust: Construction creates noise, vibration, and dust.
- Periods of Inactivity: Work will be conducted in multiple phases. A variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, subcontractor schedules, and availability of materials may cause periods of inactivity.
- Maintained Service: Water and other utilities will remain in service during construction.
For More Information
For more information and schedule details, please email Matt Gough at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-823-5352. Please contact us if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues, medical or business deliveries or have questions about this project.