Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Environmental Services

working for clean rivers

Phone: 503-823-7740

Fax: 503-823-6995

1120 SW 5th Ave, Suite 613, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Report pollution 24 hours a day

Report Pollution 24 Hours a Day, Call 503-823-7180 

dirty water fouls the WillametteThe Environmental Services Spill Protection and Citizen Response section investigates pollution going to, threatening, or leaving Portland's sewer system. Someone washing paint down a storm drain, a strange looking discharge coming from a pipe on the river, or sewage coming out of a manhole are all things Spill Protection and Citizen Response investigates. 

To report pollution or ask a question about an environmental concern, call the spill hotline at 503-823-7180.

Environmental Services staff monitors the hotline 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Staff answers the hotline during business hours. After hours and on weekends callers leave a voice mail and the on-call duty officer monitoring the hotline will respond within half an hour. 

When reporting a spill or potential environmental code violation, please provide the following:

  • Your name, address, and telephone number.
    Your information is kept confidential. If an enforcement action results in court proceedings, however, it may not be possible to keep your name confidential.
  • Location of the spill or potential code violation such as property address, nearest street intersection, or the address of an adjacent property.
  • If there is a pattern to the violation (i.e. time of day or day of the week)

Spill Protection and Citizen Response staff are also in charge of these programs.

Illicit Discharge Elimination Program (IDEP)

Portland's stormwater pipes should carry only stormwater runoff. Spill Protection and Citizen Response inspects and samples discharges from stormwater outfalls during the dry season from June to September to detect and stop illegal or accidental discharges to city storm sewers.

Portland established an Industrial Stormwater Program to monitor and control pollutants in stormwater runoff from industrial facilities. To obtain stormwater permits or to get more information about the program, call Stacey Hibbard at 503-823-5547.

Other contacts for complaints:

What type of complaint?

Who responds?

Phone Number


Metro Regional Illegal Dumping


Homeless camps or activities

City’s One Point of Contact


Construction and/or zoning complaints

Bureau of Development Services


Abandoned Autos

Portland Bureau of Transportation


Storm drain or sewer problems

Portland Bureau of Maintenance


Air quality, soil quality, or water quality complaints

Oregon Department of Environmental Quality