What Food Service Establishments and Commercial Buildings Can Do
- Put oil and grease in covered collection containers and recycle.
- Scrape food scraps from dishes into the trash or compost them. Avoid using your garbage disposal.
- Remove oil and grease from dishes, pans, fryers, and griddles. Cool first before you skim, scrape, or wipe off excess grease.
- Prewash dishes and pans with cold water before putting them in the dishwasher.
- Cover kitchen sink with catch basket and empty into garbage or compost.
- Cover floor drain with fine screen and empty into garbage or compost.
- Use a grease trap or interceptor that is designed, installed, and maintained correctly.
- Check and maintain grease traps and interceptors regularly.
- Stop using your garbage disposal if possible, or try to minimize its use.
- Don’t run water over dishes, pans, fryers,and griddles to wash oil and grease down the drain.
- Don’t rinse off oil and grease with hot water.
- Don't pour grease or oil into sinks, floor drains, or onto a parking lot or street.
- Never put solids into grease traps or interceptors.
- Do not use degreasers, enzymes or bacteria without checking with the City first.