The Industrial Pretreatment Program issues batch discharge authorizations to businesses and projects that are required to discharge wastewater to the sanitary or combined sewer systems. Any requested discharges to the storm sewer system are forwarded to the appropriate agencies. The discharges are typically of limited in duration and related to a specific site and/or operation. Some examples include: dewatering during construction activities, gray water from events, chlorinated water from hydrostatic tests, and power-washing with cleaners.
The authorization to discharge is contingent on meeting City's discharge limits and avoiding sewer overflow. There are, at a minimum, specific limits for: discharge volume, rate of flow, and a "dry weather only" provision. Analytical results for certain pollutants may be required prior to approval. If the requested rate of discharge is above 50 gpm, the request must be sent to the City's engineering staff for modeling and approval -- which may take a week to process.
- Review the Batch Discharge Authorization Procedure.
- Click here for the Batch Discharge Application.
- Construction dewatering discharge application is located here.
- Click here for the Batch Discharge Report (due within 30 days of the last discharge).
Completed applications can be sent by email or mail. Please allow a minimum of 2 weeks for processing.
Email (preferred method): email@example.com
Industrial Permitting Section
Attn: Batch Discharge Program
Water Pollution Control Laboratory
6543 N Burlington Avenue
Portland, OR 97203-5452
Fees & Charges for Fiscal Year 2021-2022
The fiscal year is from July 1 to June 30. Fees and charges are reviewed and adjusted annually.
- If applicable, the batch discharge volume to the sanitary sewer will charged at the fiscal year's commercial/industrial sewer rate. The current rate $11.723 per 100 cubic feet.
- The batch discharge authorization service fee is $137 per occurrence and construction dewatering permits are $242 per occurrence.
For more information, questions or comments, please contact the Industrial Permitting Section of Environmental Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-823-7026.