Extra Strength Sewage Charges
The Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) assesses charges for industrial and commercial sewer users that discharge high-strength wastewater to the City's sanitary or combined sewer system. High-strength wastewater means wastewater that has a biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) concentration in excess of 300 mg/L or a total suspended solids (TSS) concentration in excess of 350 mg/L; BOD or TSS concentrations that exceed typical domestic sewage concentrations. Billing high-strength wastewater dischargers provides rate equity and prevents the costs of treatment for high-strength wastewater from being passed on to other ratepayers.These charges recover the additional treatment costs at the City's wastewater treatment plant.
Portland City Code Chapter 17.36 authorizes the City to assess extra strength sewer charges.
For more information go to: Extra Strength Charge Program Administrative Rules ENB-4.25.
Extra Strength Charges for Fiscal Year July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020
The BES fiscal year 2019-2020 Rate Ordinance that summarizes all charges can be found here.
Industrial Extra-Strength Rates
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand: $0.831 per pound in excess of 300 mg/L
- Total Suspended Solids: $1.096 per pound in excess of 350 mg/L
- Extra Strength Additional Sample: $310.00 per sample
- BOD Rate ($/CCF) = (Avg. BOD – 300 mg/L) x (0.831 $/lb.) x (0.006243 conv. factor)
- TSS Rate ($/CCF) = (Avg. TSS – 350 mg/L) x (1.096 $/lb.) x (0.006243 conv. factor)
Note: 1 CCF (100 cubic feet) = 748 gallons