Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Environmental Services

working for clean rivers

Phone: 503-823-7740

Fax: 503-823-6995

1120 SW 5th Ave, Suite 613, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Selling a Home with a Nonconforming Sewer

If you are considering selling your residential property and you are unsure how the property connects to the public sewer system, you might consider hiring a plumbing contractor to do a sewer scope to determine if your line is nonconforming and show you the the condition of your private sewer line.

If you find that you have a nonconforming sewer, you may wish to hire a plumbing contractor to connect your property directly to the public sewer before you sell your property. It can be difficult to sell a home that has a nonconforming sewer connection, and sales contracts for those that do sell usually require the seller to correct the nonconforming connection.

The steps you need to take will depend on the type of nonconforming sewer you have. Your real estate agent may also be able to advise you on this issue. You will need to determine if your property: