Updated August 24, 2018
Environmental Services is constructing a project around the intersection of SW Shattuck Road and Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway to improve water quality in Fanno Creek and pedestrian safety at the intersection. When it rains, stormwater runs off Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway and flows into pipes that carry untreated stormwater to Fanno Creek. Untreated runoff washes oil, dirt, and other pollutants directly into the creek. This project will install underground vaults and above-ground green street planters on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway to collect and filter stormwater before it flows into the creek.
Construction schedules can change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules, and availability of materials. These same variables may cause periods of inactivity during construction phases.
Week of August 27:
- Crews will be excavating and begin constructing the green street planter that is on the north side of Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, furthest west of SW Shattuck Road
- Moving east, crews will repair a portion of the sewer pipe
- Crews will begin excavating for ADA ramp and curb on northwest corner at Shattuck Road
- Crews will also begin excavating for the green street planter that is closest to the west side of Shattuck
Week of September 4 (No work on Monday, Labor Day):
- Crews will pour concrete for the first planter to form the walls and continue building the planter
- The ADA ramp and curb on the northwest corner at Shattuck will be formed as well as the pedestrian pole foundation
- Crews will continue excavating for the green street planter that is closest to the west side of Shattuck
Week of September 10:
- Work will continue on the first and second green street planters
- ADA ramp, curb and corner sidewalk will continue to be formed and concrete poured
Please Note: There are usually periods of inactivity when constructing green streets due to various phases of excavation, forming the planter, pour concrete and then letting the concrete cure. Plants will not appear in the green street until a later date.
What to Expect During Construction
- Safe Work Site: Safety is our top priority for every construction site. You can help keep the area safe by staying clear of all construction activities and keeping children, pets and vehicles out of construction areas.
- Noise, Vibration, and Dust: Construction creates noise, vibration, and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- Traffic Controls: Westbound lanes on SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway will be maintained from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and eastbound lanes will be maintained from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., Monday through Saturday. Please observe traffic control signs and follow the directions of flaggers.
- Traffic Delays: You should expect traffic delays in and near the work area. The contractor will maintain local access to all properties, but construction may impact normal use of your driveway or entrance to your business.
- Maintained Service: Sewer, water, and other utilities will remain in service during construction.
- Typical Work Hours: Typical work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Night Work: The Portland Noise Office granted this project a Noise Variance Permit for nighttime construction on SW Shattuck Road between the hours of 6 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Schedule Changes and Inactivity: Construction schedules can change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules, and availability of materials. These same variables may cause periods of inactivity during construction phases.
Keeping You Informed
If you would like more information about the project or have questions and concerns you’d like to discuss, please call or email Debbie Caselton at 503-823-2831 or Debbie.Caselton@portlandoregon.gov. If you have a concern or question, please be sure to include your name, property address and project name (Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway) in your voicemail and email so we can provide you more details about what to expect in front of your property. Also, please write "Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway" in the subject line of your email.