A new policy expands how volunteers can engage with their neighborhood green streetsRead More…
MAILING ADDRESS: 1120 SW 5th Ave, Room 1000, Portland, OR 97204
Here’s some good news for a rainy weekend. Portland was recently notified that we again qualify as a “Class 5 Community” under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Community Rating System.
What does that mean?
This rating means that Portland’s 2,400 homeowners and businesses with flood insurance save up to 25% on their insurance costs compared to rates paid in communities that don’t participate in the Community Rating System.
Portland qualifies for this rating because of our actions to reduce flood risks in the community. Efforts to restore and protect floodplain as open space, such as the Foster Floodplain Natural Area, are a big part of the story. This is just another way that protecting and restoring nature in the city provides a lot of benefits:
· Managing the flow of stormwater
· Filtering pollutants for cleaner rivers and streams
· Restoring habitat for endangered salmon
· Providing new public natural areas for walking, bird-watching, and relaxing
· Adding more trees and plants to soak up carbon and cool our neighborhoods
For more information about flood safety and preparedness, see: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/42285