Updated February 16, 2018
Environmental Services has started construction at various locations across the city to replace about 20,000 feet, or almost 4 miles, of sewer pipes that are in poor condition. These repairs will increase sewer system capacity, reduce basement backups, and protect water quality and the environment.
Construction Scope and Schedule
There will be construction in several neighborhoods throughout Portland. At times, crews will work simultaneously in different neighborhoods. Environmental Services has started construction for this project, with plans to complete the work spring 2019. Depending on the site and construction methods, work could last up to a month or more in your neighborhood. Residents will be notified before construction begins in each location.
Crew members will be making the following sewer repairs between February 16 - March 4:
SE 41st Avenue and Harrison Street Project Area
- Constructing laterals using open trench excavation on SE Harrison at SE 41st avenues.
- Repairing the sewer pipe using open trench excavation between SE Harrison Street and SE Lincoln Street.
- Performing 3 spot repairs using open trench excavation on SE 41st Avenue between SE Cesar E Chavez Boulevard and Harrison Street.
NE Couch and Burnside Project Area
- Emergency Sewer Repair: Crews will be replacing the sewer pipe open and reconstructing laterals using trench excavation at NE Couch and 26th Avenue. The bulk of this repair work will be done over President’s Day weekend, Saturday, February 17th through Monday, February 19th. Environmental Services has been approved to work on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. because of the urgent need to make this repair.
SW 16th Avenue and College Street Project Area
- Making spot repairs using open trench excavation on SW 16th Avenue near SW Montgomery Street.