Environmental Services is designing a project to remodel the Force Avenue Pump Station, located at 11415 N Force Avenue. The pump station, constructed in 1974, is more than 40 years old and needs upgrades to increase pumping capacity and meet standards for access and safety. This upgrade project will improve reliability, accommodate growth and future demands on the public sewer system, and protect public health, water quality and the environment.
Design will continue through early 2019. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in spring 2019 and will take 13 months to complete.
The Force Avenue Pump Station pumps sewage and stormwater from north Portland to the Columbia Boulevard Wastewater Treatment Plant. The pump station service area includes Hayden Island, Tomahawk Island, and 2,130 acres of primarily industrial and commercial land, with some multi-family residential areas.
Pump Station Improvements
Environmental Services is studying options for the following pump station improvements:
- Determine feasibility of expanding or relocating the existing pump station
- Replace existing pumps and equipment with new submersible pumps in a new wet well
- The new structure will be earthquake resistant
- Increase wet well capacity to accommodate future development
- Replace existing generator shed with a new electrical control systems building
- Replace outdated mechanical, electrical and control equipment and systems and locate the new systems in the above ground electrical control systems building
- Improve access for operations and maintenance
- Install security fencing
- Provide odor treatment
- Develop a permanent easement for the upgraded facility
- Develop property frontage improvements if required