Environmental Services has begun constructing stormwater improvements in SW 16th Avenue between SW Taylor and SW Yamhill streets. The project will redirect surface water runoff from the combined sewer and stormwater system under SW Yamhill Street to a stormwater only pipe line under SW 16th Avenue.
The map below illustrates where sewer repairs will be constructed.
Construction will include 140 feet of public storm sewer pipe, new storm drain inlets, and new manholes to collect excess rain and groundwater from paved streets, parking lots, sidewalks, and roofs and remove pollutants from the water before it flows to the Willamette River. By reducing the volume of water that flows into the combined system in SW Yamhill Street, this project will help to relieve basement sewer backup risk and flooding for two properties connected to the system.
Construction began in January 2019 and will take up to four months to complete. The construction start date was delayed from October 2018 due to coordination with the private development at SW Taylor and 16th.
Regular work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and the same hours on Saturday as needed.
The traveling public and adjacent properties can expect the following traffic impacts during construction hours:
- At least one one-way northbound traffic lane will be open on SW 16th Avenue.
- All traffic lanes will be open on SW Taylor and SW Yamhill streets.
- At least three crosswalks will be open at each intersection.
- Pedestrians are advised to be extra careful using the sidewalk on the west side of SW 16th Avenue adjacent to construction activity, equipment, and materials.
- TriMet MAX tracks will not be affected and light rail trains will remain in service.
- Additional traffic controls may be necessary due to the ongoing private property work and building improvements at SW Taylor and SW 16th.
What to Expect During Construction
You can expect the following impacts during construction:
Work Hours: From 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and the same hours on Saturday if necessary.
Traffic Delays: Expect traffic delays in and near the work area.
Driveway Access: Construction may temporarily block your driveway when crews are working in front of your property.
No Parking: Little or no on-street parking will be allowed in and near work zones, especially during work hours.
Equipment Storage: Equipment and materials may be stored on streets overnight.
Services Maintained: Sewer, water, and other utilities are expected to remain in service during construction.
Assistance: A city inspector will be on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with an immediate need during construction.
Emergency: In case of a sewer backup or basement flooding emergency, contact City Maintenance at 503-823-1700, press 1, and give them the project number E10944. The hotline is staffed all hours and all days.