Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Office of Management & Finance

Bureau of Human Resources

Knowledgeable | Helpful | Responsive

Phone: 503-823-3572

Benefits Line: 503-823-6031

111 SW Columbia St., Ste 550, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Top 5 Retiree Health Insurance Questions

Top 5 Retiree Health Insurance Questions:


1.  When I Retire, when will my coverage end?

Your City of Portland health insurance will end the end of the month in which you separate employment with the City. Your MERP coverage ends on your last day of employment. 

2.  What is the cost to continue the plans I currently have?

Monthly Retiree Rates for Non-PPA as of July 1, 2014 are as follows:


CityCore Medical & Basic VSP with ODS Dental:

One party $693.13,   Two party $1,338.37, Family coverage $1,837.90


Kaiser NW Medical & Vision with Kaiser Dental:

One party $646.17,   Two party $1,252.94, Family coverage $1,859.71


3.  How do I elect and pay for my health insurance on the City of Portland plans?

The Benefits office will mail you an election form; to continue on our plan complete and return this form along with an initial payment to the City of Portland. You can set up Auto-Pay; we deduct your premium from your checking account on the 6th of each month.

4.  What happens with my Deferred Compensation account?

Deferred Compensation will send you a letter explaining your options with your account.  In addition, your Investment Provider may require additional forms to be completed.  Contact Jeanine Keller at (503) 823-6140 or if you have questions. If you want to make changes to your deductions (to take advantage of the age 50 catch-up provision) on your final check, your change form is due by the 15th of the prior month.

5.  How do I contact PERS?

Contact PERS for an estimate of benefits, set up your account with Online Member Services, request or view the Pre-Retirement Guide, or if you are within 90 days of retirement, meet individualy with a PERS counselor for a “Retirment Application Assistance Session”.

PERS Pension office (503) 598-7377

PERS Health Insurance (503) 224-7377

If you have other questions about Cobra and/or Retiree benefit coverage, please contact Debi Danielson at; or (503) 823-6136 or view information online at

This information is designed to provide a quick reference tool for information about healthcare coverage available after you leave City employment, and does not imply or constitute an employment agreement. Contracts and other legal documents govern the administration of each plan. In case of a dispute regarding benefits, the contract or plan document will determine your actual benefits.  Intended for BOEC, COPPEA, DCTU, Local 189-H (Housing) Non-Represented, Recreation Employees.

2014-05-15 Top 5 Retiree Health Insurance Questions